POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : English is rough : Re: English is rough Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: English is rough
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 16 Oct 2009 23:07:07
Message: <4ad934db$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
>> http://phd.pp.ru/Texts/fun/english-poem.txt
>
> Genius. One or two of the couplets don't seem to rhyme properly - I wonder if
> that's not deliberate, or perhaps dependent on personal accent!
>
> I can indeed see this being murder for non-native, and challenging for most
> native English speakers...

I got stuck on a few homographs, and speed reading caught me a few
times. Then I got to ". . . Four . . . Arkansas".

I can not make those rhyme without butchering one or the other. Either
Ar-ken-saw becomes Ar-kens-ur, or Four becomes Fou. Maybe there is a
homograph of 'four' that I am missing? Or maybe I just need a proper
Queen's English accent to get that one.